Today is Holocaust Memorial Day. The annual memorial falls on January 27th as it's the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau.
I was planning on writing a whole big post about how we're seeing a return of the rhetoric used in the 1930s and 40s, but I'm just too ill today. It's taken me about 3 hours to write this much (5 hours if you count the 2 hour nap I needed to take after one paragraph).
So instead, have some links:
- Nazi death programme bodies found by Annie Makoff for Disability Now
- An Untold Story for Holocaust Memorial Day by burdzeyeview
- Disability and Propaganda by mindinflux
- The human cost of benefit cuts by me
- The beginning of the end by Aliquant
- Wikipedia page on Aktion T4
- Roaring Girl Productions who've done a project called "Resistance" about the Holocaust
Genocide doesn’t happen overnight, it’s a gradual process which begins when the differences between us are not celebrated but used as a reason to exclude or marginalise. By learning from the lessons of the past, we can create a safer, better future.